Friday, December 10, 2010

Week of 12/5-10/10

This week in class we have continued to work on our presentation and abstract for our reading project. So far my abstract has been going well and I think that my partner and I, Stephan, are going to do a Socratic seminar to present our book, Atlas Shrugged. I'm still unsure of how we should run the seminar. Right now we have two potential options. The first one is we could present our findings and Ayn Rand's beliefs on selfishness and then have the seminar where the class would discuss whether selfishness is ever moral and/or practical. The other option is that we have a general discussion on selfishness and morality and then afterwords we present our findings and show Rand's take on it. I feel that both ways have their merits and strengths but I'm unsure which one to go with. Opinions?

3 comments:

  1. Both sound great. I think I would go with discussing morality and selfishness in general and then show Rand's take on it because it will give both views of morality and selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I'm not sure which to go with. I was thinking that if you presented Rand's beliefs first, then people might be inclined to just agree and not really think about it, but then again, knowing his opinion, might make it easier for them to grasp the question and formulate their own opinion for the seminar.

    If you allowed people to talk about it first, and then present Rand's opinion, how were you going to do it? Because after everyone says everything, and you present a new perspective, it might lead into a much longer discussion about what they agree/disagree with about Rand's opinion. Or they might just be like, oh that's his opinion? cool, well I already presented mine so this seminar is over.

    I think it might be best to present Rand's beliefs first, and have people discuss the question. This will help them to have something to build off of in terms of their opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Katie. I think it would be best if you present Rand's ideas first because if you don't, people will be all "high and mighty" instead of being blunt and honest. If they have something to base their thoughts off of, I think it will be more fluid and have a better outcome.

    ReplyDelete