As mentioned in my previous post, I was really enjoying Oedipus the King. However, after finishing the play I feel that the ending has somewhat ruined the story for me. While the ending might have been tragic in the Greek sense, I didn't mind it cathartic or morose, which I feel are important traits for tragedies to have. I really didn't have a strong connection with Oedipus by the end of the story because it all took place in one day, and during that whole time period Oedipus wasn't really being the nicest guy. The part where he is also saying goodbye to his daughters seemed as if it was supposed to be tragic, yet since the story never showed him interacting with his daughters until that point the scene really invoked no emotion. In all I feel that the story didn't end with the big bang I was expecting.
Also, this week were assigned a new project were we have to make a tragic piece of media. I plan on making a film because it is my favorite form of media. However, I feel that it will be difficult to make a tragic short film because there will not be a lot of time to try to establish a connection with the characters. One film I felt that did this well was Up. The first few minutes of the movie consists of a montage that is meant to give a background of how the protagonist met his wife, their time together, and ultimately her death. At the end of these few minutes when the wife dies I felt bad for the main character, I would even say it was more tragic than Oedipus the King. I am thinking of making a short with similar traits such as limited dialogue and quick passages of time. What do you think would be best to make a short tragic film?
I agree; gouging his own eyes out was very over-dramatized for him to do, and seemed highly unrealistic. What was even more interesting was that after he gouged his eyes out he consistently complained about not being able to see. I believe a more realistic approach would have been more effective at causing catharsis, and maybe having his daughters actually being sad when they talked to him.
ReplyDelete