Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Said I'm Sorry Athens - Week of October 4th

This week we read and discussed the Apology by Plato. Before reading this all I knew of Socrates was that many consider him to be the father of philosophy, he liked stimulating conversation through questions, and that he was put to death for corrupting the youth. After I read the Apology I gained a new appreciation for Socrates. I really liked the strategies he would use to prove his point. He would first ask questions to develop a premise that the opposition agreed with. For example, when he was trying to prove that he did not corrupt the youth he first got Meletus to agree that no man would intentionally try to harm himself. Socrates then used this conceit to show that he could not logically be intentionally corrupting the youth since he would be trying to harm himself. It is these types of logical proofs that are best for trying to prove an argument. I am a member of Model United Nations, and during conferences you are often making speeches trying to convince somebody of your point. In the future I plan to argue in the same style as Socrates.
Another thing I found interesting was the similarities between Socrates and Jesus. Both were given a message by the gods to spread amongst men, both were killed because of what they taught and that they refused to stop, both were poor during their lives, both traveled constantly spreading their teachings, and both had followers that did not write about them until after they died. I don't know whether theses similarities have any implications, but they are interesting to say in the least.
The reading offered a brief insight into classical Greek philosophy, and I hope in future readings we will learn more because I want to increase my knowledge and understanding of philosophies.

3 comments:

  1. Socrates is considered the father of Western philosophy, okay? Anyways, the Socratic method is a very useful tool to have at your disposal when searching for answers. Also, the similarities between Socrates and Jesus are interesting, if only Socrates did preach of other gods we might have a different religion on our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason,
    I totally agree, his arguments are very clever and it's clear through our reactions. If he can impress a class of teenagers in the 21st century, especially seniors and ESPECIALLY you, Mason, then he must have been doing something right. I'd really like to see how your Socrates inspired speeches will sound, since I know you are already the king of debating. One last thing - those similarities between Jesus and Socrates are very interesting. I never even connected the two and I'm glad you mentioned it. Maybe there are other people in history where the same story has played out - history does repeat itself after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that his arguments are cleverly designed and planned, but I believe that the script written down does not reflect the true dialogue of the trial. You have to admit that some of the premises Socrates gets Meletus to agree with are pretty sketchy. For instance, Meletus was obviously walking into a trap when he agreed that Socrates was the only corrupter of the youth in all of Athens, etc... And most of the questions he asks to establish those premises cannot accurately be answered "Yes" or "No" which can lead to a faulty premise and thus an erroneous conclusion.

    I do, however, love the comparisons that Socrates uses between children and horses. I think these supporting arguments are what make his arguments so effective.

    ReplyDelete