Friday, March 18, 2011

Week 3/14-3/18

This week in literature class we have continued to work on our adapted versions of Twelfth Night and we had our in class essay for our second inquiry books. My group has decided to preform Act 4 Scene 3 (I think). It also seems that I will either be writing or co-writing the screenplay. I am trying to think of an original spin to put on the scene so that we could make it more unique and also to modernize it a little bit. I plan to spend many of my spring break days pondering in the mountains of how I should adapt the scene.
Furthermore, I completed Notes from Underground and really enjoyed the novella. I feel like I learned a lot about human nature from reading the novel. One concept I thought was interesting that I didn't get to mention in my essay was how spiteful humans often are, especially in situations where it would appear that they are lacking free. For example, the author talks about how he refuses to say sorry because it's too easy. He also mentions how once someone proves to you that two time two is four or that you are descended from a monkey then all you can do is accept it (paraphrasing). From this I developed the theory that if humans are told that they don't have free will they will act spitefully, even if it is bad for them, just to show that they have free will. I even came to this realization while acting the very same way myself. While I was taking a break from writing my essay I was making myself a cup of tea and poured out the old water in the teapot rather than just reheating it. I realized that I had no reason to through the water away, but because people would say "Oh its good for the environment you have to reuse it" then I just had to show that I had the free will to through it away, even if it is illogic . But what do I care for just a little water? I'd rather throw it away and have to pay for more just for spite.

No comments:

Post a Comment