This week we have been studying the epic poem Beowulf. I remember reading it in middle school but all that I could recall was that he slayed a demon named Grendel, his mother, and a dragon. After reading the poem I really liked it and can easily relate to other epic stories. One it particularly relates to is the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Tolkken's writings has many of the same themes as Celtic folklore such as giants and dragons that guard treasure. However, I realized that a strange difference with Lord of the Rings is that even though Frodo is the protagonist he is not a bold hero like Beowulf. Instead, Leoglas, Eragorn, and Gimili embody the epic hero.
Also this week I have choose the books that I was going to read for my inquiry project. Right now I'm thinking that I'm going to read Notes From Underground, Master and Margarita, and American Psycho. I'm thinking that my question will be something along the lines of why are people drawn to dark or misanthropic literature that focuses on the negative aspects of humanity?
Its kind of ironic how people’s choice to read such literature drew you into wanting to read the books as well in an odd since you are also part of your inquiry. Got to brush up on the lord of the rings not to sure about what happens, only saw it once.
ReplyDelete