Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tragedy Creation

This week in class we have been working on our tragedy essays and I am now starting  write my story. Moving forward I am concerned about how I will make a story so short be tragic. I'm afraid that I am not going to have enough to adequately develop the protagonist so that the readers will actually care about his fate. I also feel that as I'm writing I am going to be tempted to keep writing so that the story will be more emotional. I like the idea of each of us creating our own tragedy, but I would like them to be longer and more substantial. It think it would be awesome to work on them in small increments over the next month so that by the end we have a more dynamic story.
My story is set in post apocalyptic Corinth and is about the leader of the town's past coming back to haunt and ultimately destroy. I'm trying to make a throw-back to Oedipus the King to kind of give tribute to Sophocles. However, even after reading the fifty page I didn't really have a strong with Oedipus or care about what happened to him. Granted, I feel that this can be attributed to the fact that he was a horrible person throughout the play. But even then I feel that if Sophocles couldn't generate enough character development for our class I am dubious that I will be able to any better.

3 comments:

  1. Mason,
    I hope you know I expect you to read this story after it is done. I have no doubt that this will turn out amazing because of your writing skills. I think that because it's a short story it will be a challenge but I know you can rise to the occasion. Good luck, Mason! You don't need it but still (:
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put a lot of your opinion and combine it with authors which is really good! I want to read this piece when it is done also

    ReplyDelete
  3. You told me about your story; I love the concept of a post apocalyptic Corinth. On the note of character development, a point I brought up in my essay is that of empathy. A character that is nice, or intrinsically a good person is much easier to like than someone like a brutal, emotionless serial killer. I think the key to a good character development is a good character; one that the reader can feel empathetic towards.

    ReplyDelete